Best Fat Burner Supplements 2023 – Your Ultimate Guide
An in-depth guide to some of the best fat burner supplements on the market to help support you on your health and fitness journey
A healthy diet and regular exercise should always be your starting point before thinking about a so-called ‘fat burner’ supplement. Getting into shape and losing unwanted fat requires hard work, patience and commitment.
Update: We updated this guide in January 2023 to feature the latest product choices and information. We currently rate Instant Knockout Cut (for men) and Leanbean (for women) as two of the best options on the market at the moment.
‘Fat burner’ supplements have a bit of a bad reputation, mainly because many of them are marketed as ‘magic’ solutions to help you achieve your dream body. Of course, we all know there’s no shortcut to success, especially where your health and fitness is concerned.
Before we get started, it’s important to realise that most of the supplements in this category, including the ones featured on this page, are not ‘magic pills’ – and they are not proven to ‘burn’ fat on their own.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. Our articles and the products featured in them are not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. Always speak with a certified medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet, exercise routine, and/or taking any supplements.
However, what they can do is provide a range of ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, stimulants and plant extracts, each of which may bring some benefits and support on your health and fitness journey.
Our Pick: Five Of The Best Fat Burner Supplements
|Instant Knockout Cut||• B Vitamins • Green Tea • Cayenne Pepper • Vegan Friendly||Buy Now|
|Leanbean||• Made For Women • 3g Glucomannan • Vegan Friendly • 90-day Guarantee||Buy Now|
|Burn Lab Pro||• Cayenne Pepper • Chromium • No Caffeine • Vegan Friendly||Buy Now|
|Cutting Edge||• Glucomannan • Caffeine • Vegan Friendly • UK/Europe Only||Buy Now|
|Thermopure||• Vitamins B6 & B12 • Caffeine • Cayenne • Chromium||Buy Now|
What Is A ‘Fat Burner’ Supplement?
As we mentioned above, so-called ‘fat burners’ are supplements that usually contain plant extracts and other ingredients such as vitamins and minerals, each of which may bring potential benefits.
Supplements are not intended to replace a varied diet and a healthy lifestyle, but they can help to make up for a potential shortfall in certain important nutrients.
For example, many supplements in this category contain essential nutrients (such as vitamins and minerals) which can help to support a range of important bodily functions.
Some products also contain stimulants such as Caffeine. The general idea behind the use of stimulants is that if you’re feeling more energized, it may help you to be more active (and therefore burn more calories). However, you probably already know that it’s a fine line between feeling the benefits of a stimulant such as Caffeine and over-doing it.
Herbal or plant extracts are also common inclusions in supplements in this category. Some of these ingredients have promising research behind them, and some of them, frankly, do not. It’s a good idea to read up about each ingredient yourself to check out some of the research before committing to a product.
So to summarise, the main ingredient categories you’d expect to find in a good ‘fat burner’ supplement are:
• Vitamins and Minerals – Such as B Vitamins, Zinc and Chromium
• Stimulants – Such as Caffeine
• Plant Extracts – Such as Green Tea, Cayenne Pepper and Green Coffee Bean
Our Pick: Best Fat Burner Supplements In 2023
So, with all of the main introductions out of the way, let’s now move on to our pick of some of the best ‘fat burner’ supplements available to help support your health and fitness goals.
Editor's note: Any health claims about the ingredients mentioned in this article are listed as authorised on the EU Register at the time of publishing. Additionally, you should carefully check the ingredients information shown on the official website of any product you're considering purchasing, as formulas may change from time to time and therefore may differ from what's shown on this page.
All of the supplements featured on this list contain at least some essential vitamins or minerals, which can help to support some important processes in the body.
We’ve also only picked out supplements that feature clear ingredients labels free from any proprietary blends. This means that the doses of every individual ingredient are revealed on the labels, so you’ll know exactly what is inside each capsule.
Editor's note: The writer of this article has not necessarily tried the products featured. All product information provided is purely research based.
1) Instant Knockout Cut
Product website: www.instantknockout.com
Instant Knockout Cut is made and sold by a supplements company called Roar Ambition. It’s made in both the USA and UK and is shipped worldwide.
It’s a vegan-friendly supplement which is marketed as having originally been designed for use by professional MMA fighters to help them get ready for a big fight.
Among its ingredients are popular inclusions such as Green Tea Extract, Cayenne Pepper and a powerful dietary fiber called Glucomannan. Instant Knockout Cut also contains 300mg of Caffeine per daily serving (75mg of Caffeine per capsule).
It also includes a dose of L-Theanine, which is an amino acid found in tea leaves that’s often paired with Caffeine in the same supplement.
Other ingredients in the Instant Knockout Cut formula include the essential vitamins B6 and B12, both of which contribute to normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. It also includes 1800IU of Vitamin D3, as well as Green Coffee Bean Extract and Black Pepper Extract.
Each transparent, fist-shaped bottle contains 120 capsules, which is the equivalent of a month’s supply. Instant Knockout Cut carries a bit of a premium price-tag, but you can save some money on the price per bottle if you’re willing to buy more than one at a time from the official site.
2) Leanbean (Star Pick for Women)
Product website: www.leanbeanofficial.com
Leanbean is a vegan-friendly, low stimulant supplement made specifically for women. It’s made and sold by a supplements company Ultimate Life and contains a range of vitamins, minerals and plant extracts.
Leanbean is manufactured in the USA and UK and is shipped worldwide. Among its ingredients is the powerful dietary fiber Glucomannan. The 3g daily dose of Glucomannan in Leanbean contributes to weight loss in the context of an energy-restricted diet.
Unlike other similar products, Leanbean does not use pure Caffeine as one of its main ingredients. However, the Green Coffee Bean Extract does contain small amounts of Caffeine. Other ingredients in the Leanbean formula include Choline, which contributes to normal lipid (fat) metabolism and Vitamins B6 and B12, both of which help with normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
Leanbean also contains Zinc, which helps with normal macronutrient metabolism, along with some popular plant extracts such as Green Coffee Bean Extract and Turmeric Powder.
Each bottle contains 180 capsules, which is the equivalent of a month’s supply. Leanbean has a premium price-tag, but you can save some money on the price per bottle if you’re willing to commit to buying more than one at a time from the official site.
3) Burn Lab Pro (Caffeine Free Option)
Product website: www.burnlabpro.com
Burn Lab Pro is a vegan-friendly, stimulant-free supplement with a clean and clear ingredients formula.
Made by Opti-Nutra and previously known as Performance Lab SPORT Burn, this upgraded supplement does not contain Caffeine as an ingredient, making it a ‘low stimulant’ option.
Among the ingredients in the Burn Lab Pro formula is the essential trace element Chromium, which contributes to both normal macronutrient metabolism and the maintenance of normal blood glucose levels.
Cayenne Pepper is also one of the main plant extracts in its formula, along with Coleus Forskohlii and the essential mineral Calcium.
The marketing material states that this supplement is perfect for those who practice ‘fasted’ training, which means exercising on an empty stomach. Each bottle of Burn Lab Pro contains 90 capsules, and Opti-Nutra offer fast shipping to most countries.
4) Cutting Edge
Product website: www.bulk.com
Cutting Edge is a premium supplement made by the UK-based company Bulk (formerly known as Bulk Powders).
It contains a range of ingredients including 3g of the powerful dietary fiber Glucomannan per daily serving. At this dose, Glucomannan contributes to weight loss in the context of an energy-restricted diet.
Cutting Edge also includes Choline, which helps with normal lipid (fat) metabolism and the essential trace element Chromium, which contributes to normal macronutrient metabolism.
Each daily serving of Cutting Edge also contains 300mg of Caffeine (50mg per capsule). Other ingredients in the Cutting Edge formula include Green Coffee Extract, Selenium and Peppermint Leaf Powder.
Each box comes with 180 capsules, and this supplement is suitable for both vegans and vegetarians. It is another premium-priced product, and it’s currently only available to buy in the UK and Europe.
Product website: www.myprotein.com
Thermopure is made by the UK-based supplements company Myprotein.
It combines a range of vitamins, minerals and plant extracts, along with some Caffeine. Each daily serving of Thermopure contains a total of 198mg of Caffeine from all sources (66mg of Caffeine per capsule).
Among its top ingredients are the commonly used plant extracts Green Tea and Cayenne Pepper, along with the amino acid L-Theanine. Thermopure also uses the essential Vitamins B6 and B12, both of contribute to normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
Also included in the formula is the essential trace mineral Chromium, which helps with normal macronutrient metabolism and the maintenance of normal blood glucose levels. Other ingredients in the Thermopure formula include L-Tyrosine and Black Pepper Extract.
Each bottle either contains 90 or 180 capsules. This supplement offers good value for money and is made by a popular brand.
What To Expect From A ‘Fat Burner’
It’s widely accepted that the main proven way to lose fat is to stick to a (sensible and well-managed) diet and exercise regimen in which you’re burning slightly more calories than you’re consuming. In other words, it’s about keeping in a slight calorie deficit over time.
As we have already mentioned, there are no miracle supplements out there that will work without any effort on your part.
When it comes to claims about weight loss, you probably already know that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Losing unwanted fat and getting into shape requires hard work and commitment.
However, there are plenty of supplements out there that provide ingredients to support you on your fitness journey alongside your healthy diet and sensible lifestyle choices.
It’s a good idea to get the basics right (following a varied and balanced diet, sticking to a sensible workout plan and looking after your health overall) before thinking about trying a new supplement.
So-called ‘fat burners’ are designed to be combined with the correct healthy lifestyle choices. If you’re looking to lose fat, this means ensuring that you’re in a slight calorie deficit with your (sensible and well-managed) diet and exercise regimen.
In other words, you can’t just take a ‘fat burner’ supplement, do nothing at all, and expect to see results.
It’s also important to remember that losing fat isn’t an overnight process. You’ll need to be realistic and commit to the right lifestyle choices, training and nutrition for at least a few weeks before expecting to see results.
Our selection of some of the best ‘fat burner’ supplements featured on this page contain ingredients which can bring potential benefits and help to support you on your way to achieving your goals, when combined with the correct lifestyle choices.
Safety And Side Effects
It’s always best to speak to your doctor or a certified medical professional before taking any new supplement for the first time or making any changes to your diet.
Most of the supplements in this category contain a range of commonly-used ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, amino acids and plant extracts.
That being said, some ingredients do have the potential to cause some unwanted side effects, and this is why it’s important to do some of your own research and consult your doctor beforehand.
As you know, many ‘fat burner’ supplements use Caffeine or other stimulants in their formulas. You probably also know that too much Caffeine can cause unwanted side effects, so monitoring your stimulant intake from all sources is important.
Some supplement manufacturers will disclose potential side effects which may be caused by certain ingredients on the label of the product itself, so it’s always worth taking a close look before trying a new product.
What To Look Out For (And Avoid)
As we’ve mentioned numerous times in this guide, sticking to a diet and exercise program in which you are burning slightly more calories than you’re consuming is the main, widely-accepted method for achieving fat loss.
However, supplements like the ones on this page are marketed as being able to help support you on your fitness journey by making up for potential shortfalls in certain nutrients and also supplying other ingredients such as stimulants and plant extracts.
If you are thinking of trying a ‘fat burner’ supplement, here are some tips to consider when picking one for yourself.
• If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is – Try to use common sense when looking at all supplements. A product that makes unrealistic-sounding claims about its benefits is unlikely to live up to expectations. It’s always a good idea to do some of your own research into the ingredients yourself.
• Check the doses of the ingredients – Most products require you to take a few (more than two) capsules each day. This is usually because the small size of the capsules means that the supplements require multiple servings to deliver the ingredients in the full doses listed on the label. It’s worth comparing the ingredients lists of any supplements you’re considering and examine the doses provided.
• Beware of proprietary blends – Manufacturers of supplements can sometimes conceal the individual doses of the ingredients in something called a ‘proprietary blend’. We generally think that this is something to avoid because it ultimately means that you do not know how much of each individual ingredient is actually in the capsule. It’s best to carefully check the label to make sure that the supplement you’re considering clearly shows exactly how much of each ingredient is included in each serving. You’ll notice that none of the products we featured on this page use proprietary blends – each one has its ingredients list fully displayed.
• Check where the products are made – You’ll want to make sure that the products come from safe, legal and quality sources. As a starting point, you should check to make sure that the manufacturer uses cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practice) and FDA-approved facilities to make their supplements. It’s also worth researching and reading up about the company behind the product to check out their track history.
• Brand reputation – It’s usually a good idea to do some of your own research into the brand behind any supplement you’re thinking about buying. It can be useful to ask questions such as: How long has the brand been around? What are customers saying about the company? Is it easy to get in touch with the manufacturer if necessary? What are some of the other products they offer? Doing your research into the companies behind the products can help you to make more of an informed choice when selecting a supplement.
• Get advice from a professional – We always recommend speaking to your doctor before thinking about trying any new supplement for the first time or making any significant lifestyle changes. This will give you peace of mind and also allow you to receive some tailored advice specific to your situation.
Some Ingredients To Look For
Not all supplements are created equal – and a ‘fat burner’ is only really as good as the ingredients it contains.
As you’ve likely already gathered, supplements in this category can contain a range of different ingredients. Generally speaking, however, most of them include things such as essential vitamins and minerals, as well as popular plant extracts and stimulants.
Here, we take a look at some of the most common ingredients found in the supplements in this category, along with some of their potential benefits.
• Chromium – An essential trace element that your body needs to get from your diet in small amounts. Chromium contributes to normal macronutrient metabolism and the normal maintenance of blood glucose (blood sugar) levels.
• Vitamins B6 and B12 – These are two essential vitamins that are found in a fairly wide range of foods. They are also commonly included in the ingredients lists of supplements in this category. Vitamins B6 and B12 both contribute to a normal energy release and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
• Zinc – Zinc is an important essential mineral which we need to get from our diet. It’s also commonly found in lots of the leading supplements in this category. In case you didn’t know, Zinc plays a number of key roles in the body, including contributing to normal macronutrient metabolism and normal protein synthesis. Zinc also contributes to the normal metabolism of fatty acids.
• Green Tea Extract – Green Tea Extract is one of the most commonly-used supplement ingredients in this category. You probably already know that it’s a popular hot drink with some promising research behind it.
• Cayenne Pepper – Another extremely popular ingredient for supplements in this category. Often also used as a cooking ingredient, you’ll find Cayenne Pepper, or some sort of Chilli extract, as one of the main ingredients in many of the products in this category.
• Choline – This is an essential nutrient that contributes to normal lipid (fat) metabolism when included in doses of at least 82.5mg. You’ll find Choline in some of the leading supplements in this category. In case you didn’t know, Choline also helps with normal liver function.
• Green Coffee Bean Extract – This is a plant extract which comes from unroasted (green) coffee beans. While also potentially being a source of Caffeine, Green Coffee Bean Extract is usually also rich in a substance called Chlorogenic Acid. It’s worth checking the supplement label to see what percentage of the Green Coffee Bean extract is actually Chlorogenic Acid.
• Glucomannan – Glucomannan is a dietary fiber that comes from the root of the Konjac plant. At doses of 3g per day (in three, separate 1g doses per day, taken before meals), it is known to contribute to weight loss in the context of an energy-restricted diet. It’s worth checking the label of any supplement you’re considering, as not all products include enough Glucomannan to be able to make this claim about weight loss. In other words, the size of the dosage is important when it comes Glucomannan’s effectiveness. It’s important to note that Glucomannan carries a risk of choking for people with swallowing difficulties, or when it’s not consumed with enough fluid. For this reason, you should make sure that you take any supplement containing Glucomannan with plenty of water to ensure it reaches the stomach quickly and easily. These important points are usually made clear on the product labels.
• Caffeine – This ingredient needs no introduction, as it’s being consumed by millions of people worldwide on a daily basis. It is, of course, present in tea and coffee, but what you may not know is that Caffeine is also a pretty popular ingredient in sports supplements. That being said, you should be careful not to overdo it with Caffeine or other similar stimulants. It’s important to watch your total Caffeine intake from all sources. If you are looking to avoid too many stimulants, you can check out our guide to the best ‘fat burners’ with lower Caffeine.
Men’s vs Women’s Supplements
You may have noticed that a lot of the supplements in this category tend to be aimed only at men or both genders together.
But there are also options out there that are specifically aimed at women, like some of the ones featured on this list such as Leanbean.
At the end of the day, the supplements in this category usually contain a similar profile of ingredients, regardless of whether they are aimed at men or women. The main difference is normally just the way they are marketed.
That being said, some manufacturers of female-focused supplements do sometimes choose to include lower doses of ingredients such as Caffeine in their formulas.
This is presumably because some women would prefer to choose a supplement which does not overdo it on the Caffeine, which is so often the case in many of the male-focused products.
During our research, we also found that many of the supplements that are aimed specifically at women tend to have been specifically formulated to be suitable for Vegans, which is not always the case with men’s supplements.
You can also check out our separate guide to the best ‘fat burners’ for women.
Stimulant vs Non-Stimulant Supplements
You will no doubt already know that many of the supplements in this category use stimulants such as Caffeine in their formulas.
Caffeine is, of course, one of the most popular stimulants on the planet, and most people are familiar with the effects and benefits it can bring to the table when used in a sensible way.
However, you probably also know that the over-consumption of stimulants such as Caffeine can potentially cause a range of unwanted side effects.
If you are sensitive to stimulants or are already consuming significant amounts of Caffeine from other sources, then you may want to choose a supplement which doesn’t use it in its formula.
There are some so-called ‘fat burners’ that don’t use Caffeine as a standalone ingredient, and these products are often marketed as “stimulant free” options.
There are also supplements out there that only use smaller amounts of Caffeine in their formulas, known as “low stimulant” options.
When it comes to the use of Caffeine in supplements, keeping a close eye on the dose is important. Generally speaking, you’d expect to find around 100mg of Caffeine in a regular cup of coffee.
Whether you choose to go for a supplement containing Caffeine or not really comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.
It’s always a good idea to do your research and look into the various different options on offer before committing to a product.
We also have a dedicated guide to some of the leading ‘fat burner’ supplements that do not use pure Caffeine as a standalone ingredient in their formulas.
Shipping And Where To Buy
The majority of the supplements featured on this page are available to buy online from most countries.
However, it’s important to note that some supplements are not available in certain countries, and some product manufacturers simply do not ship to some parts of the world.
There are various reasons why a certain supplement may not be available in your country. It may be that some of the ingredients it contains are not approved for use in dietary supplements in all countries, or simply that the manufacturer has chosen not to ship their product to some parts of the world.
To be sure that you’ll receive your supplement quickly, it’s always best to check the official website of the product you’re interested in to find out more about the shipping and delivery options.
Generally speaking, most of the supplements in this category are available to buy from the official product websites, but you can also find plenty of selection on Amazon, GNC and other online retailers.
One of the main advantages of buying a supplement directly from the manufacturer is that you can be sure that you’ll be getting a 100 per cent genuine product and not a knock-off.
The other good thing about buying directly from an official website is that the guarantees which come with some supplements are only applicable if you buy them direct.
Of course, one of the downsides from buying directly from the manufacturer is that it’s sometimes a bit less convenient than ordering your supplements from a retailer such as Amazon, where you may already have an account.
How To Take A ‘Fat Burner’
You should always carefully check the label of any product you purchase, paying particularly close attention to the directions, the warnings and the ingredients.
Most ‘fat burner’ supplements will require you to take one serving multiple times per day. The capsules are usually designed to be swallowed with a big glass of water.
Of course, you should carefully follow the instructions that come with any supplement you purchase and be careful not to exceed the recommended dose shown on the label.
Because the Caffeine content is often high in supplements in this category, it’s a good idea not to consume any product that contains Caffeine within about six hours of when you plan to go to sleep.
There are also some instances where it is not appropriate to take a supplement without having first spoken to your doctor or a certified medical professional.
You shouldn’t take any supplement without having first spoken to your doctor if you have an underlying medical condition, or are taking any prescription medication. Always consult your doctor before taking a supplement if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Anything Else To Consider?
We mentioned it at the start of this article, but it’s worth repeating. The most important thing to note is that the products featured on this list have not been proven to ‘burn’ fat.
Instead, they simply combine a range of ingredients which are sold as a food supplement – and it’s the ingredients themselves that can provide potential benefits on your health and fitness journey.
As we already said at the start of this guide, there are no shortcuts to success when it comes to getting into shape. Achieving your fitness goals requires hard work, patience and dedication.
The most widely-accepted way to lose fat is to ensure that you’re burning slightly more calories than you’re consuming over time as part of a sensible exercise plan and a healthy, varied diet.
It’s usually best to make sure that you are exercising regularly and eating healthily as your first step – and we strongly recommend to get these two things sorted before considering a so-called ‘fat burner’ supplement.
As we also mentioned above, we also always recommend speaking to your doctor before considering making any major lifestyle changes or trying any new supplements for the first time.
And you should not take any new supplements before speaking to your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or have any underlying health condition. The supplements on this list are not intended for anyone under the age of 18.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So there we have it, our guide to some of the best ‘fat burner’ supplements on the market at the moment.
We’ve walked you through some of the basic things you need to know about supplements in this category, including some of their common ingredients and the benefits they can bring.
We’ve picked out some products including Instant Knockout Cut (for men) and Leanbean (for women). The Burn Lab Pro supplement may also be a good choice if you’re looking for a low stimulant product that’s also vegan friendly.